Your Louisiana Personal Injury Attorney
Call For your Free Case Evaluation 985.206.5545
Your Personal Injury Attorney Navigating You Through This Challenging Time

St. Tammany Parish Dog Bite Lawyer

Call (985) 206-5545 for Effective & Personalized Representation in the Northshore Area

It is estimated that nearly 40% of households in the United States have a dog as a pet. If a dog has caused an injury to yourself, your child, or a loved one, take swift action and discuss your case with our personal injury lawyer. A victim of a dog bite accident has one year to bring a claim for their injuries under Louisiana law, so time is of the essence. At The Tobey Law Firm, our caring attorney acts as our clients' guide throughout the legal process and is committed to constant, transparent communication. If you need a skilled dog bite lawyer in St. Tammany Parish, we can provide the legal services you deserve.

Contact The Tobey Law Firm at (985) 206-5545 today for a consultation.

Dog Bite Law in Louisiana

An animal attack can result in severe bodily injury, expensive medical bills, and lasting emotional trauma. Considering many dog bite victims are young children, the costs associated with a dog bite injury are often exorbitant. Common injuries from dog bites include broken bones, puncture wounds, infections, head injuries, and permanent nerve damage.

Under Louisiana Civil Code section 2321, a dog owner is responsible for their pet if:

  • The owner knew or should have known the animal would cause damage;
  • Taking reasonable care could have prevented the damage;
  • The owner did not take reasonable care to prevent the injury; and
  • The harmed individual did not provoke the animal into causing injury.

This statute is not only applied to dog bites but to any animal behavior that causes another person injury. It is important to note that Louisiana law treats animal provocation as a complete bar to recovery. The facts of the case determine how much liability the pet owner is responsible for. Working with a knowledgeable personal injury lawyer can help compile the evidence needed to prove that the dog owner did not use reasonable care with their pet.

Comparative Negligence in Louisiana Dog Bite Cases

Dog bite victims in Louisiana who are found to be partially at fault for their injuries will have any damages awarded to them reduced by a percentage equal to their share of fault. For example, say a person were bitten by an unprovoked dog in someone else's front yard after ignoring a clearly-posted "Beware of Dog" sign. Because of this, a jury decides the victim is 40 percent at fault for their injuries and the dog owner is responsible for the remaining 60 percent of the blame. The victim's damages equal $20,000.00, but because of comparative negligence rules, they will only be eligible to receive $12,000 (which is $20,000 minus 40 percent).

What to Do After a Dog Bite

If you have been bitten by a dog:

  • Seek medical attention immediately. Go to urgent care or the emergency room if needed.
  • Call the police, as well as your local animal control agency, and report the attack.
  • Verify the animal's rabies vaccination history with the owner or with animal control.
  • Exchange names and addresses with the dog's owner and any witnesses to the attack.
  • Call a lawyer immediately to determine the best course of legal action.

Are Dog Bites Dangerous?

Yes. Dogs carry high levels of bacteria in their saliva, causing bites to have a high risk of infection. This risk of infection is greater in people with compromised immune systems or conditions like diabetes. If left untreated, dog bites can potentially lead to the contraction of various diseases, muscle or nerve damage, or permanent disfigurement.

Always see a doctor after a dog bite, especially if:

  • The dog has an unknown rabies vaccination history
  • The bite is bleeding excessively
  • You are experiencing intense pain
  • You can see bone, tendons, or muscle tissue
  • The bite is red, swollen, or inflamed
  • You feel weak or faint

Caring & Capable Personal Injury Attorney

Do you have questions about a dog bite injury and want to speak with a dog bite attorney in St. Tammany Parish? Do not hesitate to seek counsel from The Tobey Law Firm. We offer 24/7 availability for our clients and can schedule a consultation for more information. We will provide you with the compassionate guidance you need during this difficult time.

Call (985) 206-5545 at your earliest convenience to learn more about how we can help you pursue fair and full compensation.

The Opinions That Matter

See what our past clients have to say
  • “Five Stars”

    William H.

  • “Constant Communication!”

    Kelly M.

  • “The Tobey Law Firm is Amazing!”

    Jacob G.

  • “They have your best interest at heart.”

    Keith N.

  • “Excellent Attorney”

    Don