Your Louisiana Personal Injury Attorney
Call For your Free Case Evaluation 985.206.5545
Your Personal Attorney Navigating You Through This Challenging Time

Frequently Asked Questions

Call (985) 206-5545 to Speak with a St. Tammany Parish Injury Lawyer

At The Tobey Law Firm, we are committed to providing our clients with the highest quality of representation possible. In order to help achieve that goal, we are available to answer your questions and address your concerns 24/7. However, below, we have answered several of our most frequently asked questions for your convenience. If you do not see your question below or if you have further questions about our answer, feel free to reach out to our legal team today.

  • How Long Do I Have to File an Injury Claim in Louisiana?

    Although it varies from case to case, you typically have one year from the date of the accident to file a personal injury claim. This applies to most motor vehicle accidents and premises liability cases. However, there are many different exceptions. For example, if you sustained an injury due to medical malpractice, you generally have one year from the date that you learned, or should have learned, that your injury resulted from said malpractice. Since there is no singular answer to this question, you should consult a knowledgeable injury attorney to determine if you have a valid claim.

  • If I Fall on Someone Else’s Property in Louisiana & Injure Myself, Can I Recover Compensation?

    It depends on the specific facts of your case. Generally speaking, Louisiana law allows injured parties to recover compensation from negligent property owners. This area of law is known as premises liability. These types of cases usually depend on whether or not the property owner was aware of, or should have been aware of, the dangerous condition that caused you injury. If they were aware of the dangerous condition on their property, such as a wet floor, and they failed to remedy it, they may be held accountable for their actions.

  • Should I Have Uninsured Motorist Coverage?

    Yes; absolutely. There have been far too many motor vehicle accidents involving a negligent driver with no auto insurance. In these types of cases, the only possible avenue for the injured party is to file a lawsuit against the negligent driver personally. However, as you may have guessed, obtaining fair and full compensation in this type of situation is quite difficult. But if you have uninsured motorist coverage, essentially, your insurance provider will place themselves in the negligent driver’s shoes and pay you for your accident-related damages.

  • How Much Compensation Can I Recover?

    If you file an insurance claim, the amount of recoverable compensation is determined by limits of the insurance policy from which you are drawing. There are no caps on damages in Louisiana personal injury lawsuits except in medical malpractice cases. In medical malpractice lawsuits, the maximum amount of damages that can be recovered is capped off at $500,000, in addition to future medical expenses and related bills. So, in all other types of personal injury cases, the amount that can be recovered is generally unlimited. Consult a skilled personal injury lawyer in St. Tammany Parish to see how much compensation you may be eligible for.

    Call (985) 206-5545 to speak with an attorney about the specific facts of your case.

Call For Your Free Case Evaluation

Lets us handle everything so you can focus on your recovery
    • Please enter your name.
    • This isn't a valid phone number.
    • Please enter your email address.
      This isn't a valid email address.
    • Please make a selection.
    • Please enter a message.